Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cheesy Kale & Sausage Pasta


I have come across many recipes incorporating "the nutritional powerhouse" known as kale.  I did some research on what the hype is about kale and the findings were unbelievable.  Kale provides so many nutrients and vitamins and provides many health benefits by eating it regularly as quoted in this article as well as countless others praising its value.  I finally gave in when I was grocery shopping and found some kale at an unbelievable sale price.  At first, I didn't have any idea what to do with it or what it tasted like but after finding the many unique ways to include it in meals, I have been adding it to salads, smoothies, soups, and pasta dishes.  I have even roasted it which was yummy and next, I want to try it grilled in the summer months.

Last night, I was trying to figure out what to make that was quick and easy with ingredients.  I had kale, cheese, sausage, and some pasta so I threw it all together in one pot and cooked it up.  The results were insanely delicious and the family loved it.  I will share the recipe in hopes that your family will enjoy it as well.


Ingredients:
1 lb of Beef smoked sausage casings removed
1 lb uncooked pasta (I used Orecchiette pasta)
4 cups chopped kale
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 can diced and fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles (14.5 oz)
1 small onion chopped
2-3 large garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chicken broth (I use Better than Bullion mixed with warm water-follow product directions) 1 tsp basil
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp 21 seasoning salute
1 tsp oregano
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

Method:
In a large skillet or wok style pan, heat olive oil and add the onion and minced garlic.  Saute the onion and garlic until onion is clear then add the sausage. Break up sausage into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon and saute until meat is brown.  Add broth, tomatoes, and spices and mix until boiling and then add the pasta and return to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover until pasta is cooked (about 10 minutes).  Once pasta is cooked, mix in kale one cup at a time making sure each cup is mixed in.  Cover and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on your cooked kale preference.  Add cheese and heat covered for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Remove from heat and serve.








You will love the ease of cooking this in one pot and the of course the flavorful and healthy meal option.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment