Monday, January 20, 2014

Oven Roasted Veggies



I am on a healthy cooking kick for the moment.  It's the start of the new year and it's time for a fresh start.  First thing to fix is that I know that I have not been incorporating many vegetables into our family meals so I want to change that.  I went in search of some healthy vegetable recipes that will make the veggies edible for my picky 8 year old and we can all enjoy and leave them craving more.  My 14 year old daughter and my 5 year old love all fruits and veggies but I can't seem to entice my 8 year old to eat anything except broccoli, corn, and peas and she can only eat them if they're smothered in butter, salt, and pepper.  I found some roasted vegetable recipes that sound amazing and flavorful.  I decided to try some out last night to serve with left over spaghetti.  I love zucchini and carrots and I had those in my fridge but I would like to try a variety of vegetables such as asparagus, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and even our family favorite, artichokes.

Oven Roasted Vegetables:

Ingredients:
3 green zucchini 
2 yellow zucchini 
4 medium carrots 
2 tbs lemon infused extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2 tsp 21 seasoning salute (Trader Joe's)
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
Lemon pepper grinder
Sea salt grinder

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Quarter veggies.  In a small bowl, combine oregano, basil, 21 seasoning salute, parsley and garlic powder with a fork or whisk.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and add the veggies to the tray.  Brush the oil lightly on each piece until coated. Sprinkle the spice combination on each piece to coat evenly. Grind the lemon pepper and sea salt over the veggies to taste. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes or until desired tenderness and toss the veggies half way through cooking.








The zucchini and carrots tasted delicious.  The spices and lemon flavors gave them a richer flavor while still keeping them healthy.  You can substitute and add any other spices you like for taste.  I experimented with another batch that made them spicier by adding cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper and threw in some minced garlic and they were fabulous.  I did not share this batch with the kids since they are not fans of spicy but I loved it. Enjoy your veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment