Thursday, January 23, 2014

Mexican Style Spicy Tuna


This is not your average canned tuna recipe.  I was always a huge fan of tuna salad sandwiches.  One day, I was making myself a tuna sandwich for lunch and my husband happened to walk in the kitchen as soon as I started opening the can of tuna.  It was clearly obvious that I was about to make myself a tuna sandwich by the sight of the jar of mayonnaise and the usual ingredients.  He is not a fan of tuna fish sandwiches so he stopped me before I did my usual preparation routine and he started pulling ingredients out of the fridge.  He knows I like tuna so he wanted to find alternative and easy ways to prepare canned tuna to blend the flavor with some tasty ingredients to make it more like a gourmet dish.  He is great at finding just the right ingredients to make dishes taste out of this world.  Since he has such creative cooking techniques, he created a Mexican style spicy tuna dish and a Mediterranean spicy tuna dish. Both are phenomenal.  I have attempted to duplicate his recipe for lunch today.  Here is the recipe for the Mexican style spicy tuna skillet meal.


Ingredients:

1 can of tuna packed in water - drained
1 tbs Lemon infused extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs Hot pepper infused extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 medium shallot chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
3 yellow peppers sliced (seeded or de-seeded depending on your heat preference)
1 roma tomato chopped (can substitute for canned tomatoes)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tbs Chili Garlic Sauce (I was all out so I used Sriracha sauce)
1 tbs 21 seasoning salute
1 tbs garlic powder
Salt grinder
Pepper grinder
Lime wedges
Chili pepper

Method:

  • Heat oil blends in a medium pan on medium heat
  • Add the the onion, garlic, and shallots.  Sauté until softened.
  • Add the yellow chiles and sauté just to coat the chiles with the oil
  • Add the chili powder and mix with the ingredients in the pan and stir until chili power is scorching lightly
  • Add the tomatoes, sriracha, and crushed red pepper and stir until softened
  • Stir in the tomato sauce and mix well.  Sauté until tomato sauce scorches a bit
  • Add the garlic powder, 21 seasoning salute, and cayenne
  • Add the tuna and coat well with sauce leaving some chunks of tuna in the mix.  Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
  • Pull from heat and serve hot over brown rice, white rice, or pasta
  • Add salt and pepper to taste and stir
  • Serve with lime wedges and sprinkle with chili pepper
Be careful.  This dish is very spicy hot but delicious.  You can add or reduce heat by adjusting the ingredients.





Well, I would have to say that the recipe was a success.  I was pleased with the spicy and tangy flavors. I almost forgot I was eating canned tuna.  I will post the Mediterranean recipe on a later post. Hope you enjoy this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment