Sunday, December 29, 2013

Mini lemon cakes recipe


Today, I'm sharing my family favorite dessert treat.  I came across this recipe years ago and after some trial and error batches, I have made it my own by putting my own twist on them.  My husband is the biggest fan of these little treats and often requests them.  My girls love to help prepare them especially because they want to brag to Daddy that they helped make them for him.  It is a funny thing but every time I make these, it seems that our friends smell them from afar because they always seem to show up when they're in the oven baking.  As a matter of fact, one of our friends, who is a huge fan, happened to drop by today right when the muffins went into the oven.  It just always happens that way.  He was pleasantly surprised and was so eager to eat one that he didn't even wait until they cooled and neither did my husband. In fact my husband was fighting for his muffins and made sure our friend only took a couple back home with him to share with his wife.  I love baking these little treats and I am certain they will become your family favorites as well.

Here is the recipe to make 36 mini muffin cakes.

Mini Lemon Cakes

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 cup of room temperature salted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1-2 Meyer lemon for juice
1 Meyer lemon (zested)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
36 mini baking cups

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder with a whisk or fork.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice with a whisk or fork.
  4. In a separate large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well between each addition.
  5. Add the flour mixture and the yogurt mixture together in 2 separate batches into the large bowl with the butter and sugar mixture.  Beat well between each addition.
  6. Spoon batter into each baking cup in approximately 1/2 tbs proportions
  7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean from center of cake
  8. Cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes

We usually eat these without any toppings or icing because they are the perfect little bites of lemony goodness.  You can top with a lemon icing or for this batch, we used whipped cream and zested a couple of lemons over the cream which added another layer of flavor that was out of this world yummy.


I hope you enjoy them and if you happen to use the recipe, feel free to comment and let me know how they turned out for you.







No comments:

Post a Comment