Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Minecraft Birthday Party Planning

It's been a while since I last blogged.  The holidays, family, shopping, kids, and friends have definitely kept me busy.  Now that the holidays are over, a new adventure is ahead and will be here fast.  My beautiful daughter is turning 8 on January 13th and she has asked for a Minecraft themed party. She is an avid Minecraft player and loves all things Minecraft.  She even watches YouTube videos and listens to the parody songs about Minecraft.  She is very good at the game and an even better teacher.  I have attempted to clumsily play with her and she is very patient in teaching me the mechanics of the game, even something as simple as how to move around and not break things.

I was very excited to get started with organizing the party.  Grandma and Auntie are always willing to help with food and the cake.  She chose a Minecraft Creeper cake, of course, and her Auntie is the baker in the family so she was nominated for the design and baking project.   I took on the task of the decorations, piñata, and party favors.  The challenge seemed very easy to take care of at the local party supply store.  After several store visits, I was shocked to find that nobody carries anything Minecraft related for parties.  I saw Angry Birds, Super Mario Bros, even WWE party supplies but nothing on Minecraft.  I was in a complete panic.  I am days away from the party and I have nothing ready.  I quickly turned to my best friend, Google, and searched for Minecraft party ideas and it seems that many other Moms experienced the same panic and hurdles I did and they came up with their own creative and unique ways to throw a Minecraft themed party.  They even provided printables for us desperate Moms.
  

I took ideas from many sources and came up with some fun treats and decorations that will definitely make the party a hit for my 8 year old and her guests. The first thing I tackled was the piñata.  I could not really find many Minecraft related piñatas and one person made their own so I figured, how hard could it be.  My daughter loves Herobrine.  He is not actually a character in the game; he is a made-up character that has become a popular Minecraft community icon.  I decided to go with a Herobrine piñata.  I read up on him since I really don't know much about him on Minecraft Wiki.  He has the exact same build and appearance as Steve but Herobrine has white eyes which makes him creepy looking but cool.

I gathered all of the necessary items to start my very first party item many which were purchases I made at the 99 cent store:


The Herobrine Piñata!
  • 3 assorted sized cardboard boxes
  • Brown and skin colored tissue paper
  • Light and dark blue streamers
  • Glue sticks
  • Scissors
  • Box cutter
  • Tape
  • Black marker
  • Ruler
  • Zip tie


I started out by positioning the boxes so that it would appear to be the head, broad shoulders and torso, and legs.  Once that was done, I cut out the smaller edge flaps of the box and left only the longer edges and taped those back together to make it a little easier to break the piñata when the children hit it but not too easy since there will be 8 year old boys attending the party. I then taped the 3 boxes together to make the body so they would stay fastened during the transport, candy loading, and hanging.  I made sure to make the proper holes on the head for the zip tie to hang it and also an opening in the back for loading the candy.  Before taping the boxes, make sure to put the zip tie through the holes as I forgot and had to remove the tape from the head to insert it.



Once that was done, the tedious part began.  I cut the tissue paper and streamers into squares.  I also used longer pieces and made cuts into them the size of the individual squares but not all the way to the top to create the illusion of many squares together.  Now came the gluing.  I tried to make them as symmetrical as possible to match the 8 bit square graphics in the game. I started with the face and glued the skin colored tissue paper and then the brown tissue paper for the hair.  I worked my way down to the arms with skin colored tissue, and then started the shirt with the light blue streamer squares and worked my way down to the pants with the dark blue streamer squares.  I left a small gap at the bottom for the shoes which can be gray or black.  I did not have gray tissue paper so I used black construction paper and cut up squares for the bottom and sides of the feet.  It took me 2 half days to finish it and the end result was a happy little girl excited about her piñata.  Not bad for my first time making one.  I am still planning on going back to finish patching up the sections where cardboard is visible but for the most part it is completed.







Tomorrow, I will be posting about the table topper signs for the Minecraft food with the printable labels I found on a creative website.  I am also going to be making treasure chests out of paper craft which will serve as the party favor boxes.  I will discuss what I will be using for the party favors and food assortments for the party on a later post.  I hope you enjoyed the making of the Herobrine piñata and hope it helps you if you decide to make your own.  I will be posting more as I make the party goodies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment